If You Know Your History

Friday, January 19, 2007

When Saturday (and Sunday) Comes!!!

This weekend is the weekend that Liverpool play Chelsea and Arsenal (my favourite team aka as Emirates XI LOL LOL) take on the ManUre of Man U at Cashburton Grove.

Will the points difference come 6pm Sunday night (UK time) be six, nine or three between the Champions and the current League leaders?

Thanks to TV I am able to watch the Liverpool game on TV (Saturday) and I will watch the Arsenal game on Sunday (in the company with my daughters bf who happens to be a Gooner!!!) The amount of times I have told my offspring to get 'partnered up,' with people who either like football (geddit?) or who support Chelsea (just think of all those arguments saved LOL LOL)!!!

Anyway the main purpose of today's entry is to tell you about a game that I will be watching on Saturday (live at the ground, and don't get me wrong I would have loved to be at Anfield and any other ground that Chelsea play, but today's finances are strictly restricted to Chelsea Home League games).

Tomorrow I will be going to support one of the many local clubs in my area and the club that I am going to support, VCD Athletic are playing at home against West Auckland Town in the FA Vase competition.

VCD Athletic play in the Kent League and West Auckland Town who are based near Darlington, play in the Northern League.

The game had been in doubt for the last two days due to the horrible weather, but as I write, the game is definitely on and will kick off at 3pm UK time.

Why VCD Athletic you may ask? Well. A colleague at work plays for VCD Athletic and he told me of a match that he played at Wisbech Town in the previous round of the FA Vase and that the crowd was in excess of 300. (Now before you laugh at the attendance figure, we are taling about two teams playing in the lower leagues of England's footballing pyramid).

The whole idea of the public paying to watch footballers playing at a semi-professional level further down the pyramid than say the Conference, Conference North and Conference South got me thinking.

Why would 300 plus people from a 'small' Cambridgeshire town want to watch a football match without the named stars, without the glitz and hype, without the TV and press???

All I could think of was that these people 'supported' their big named club, but either couldn't afford to go to the games, the location of where they lived made the journey difficult or it was easier to support their 'local' club, no matter the level.

Then I did a 'little' research on VCD Athletic and discovered the League they play in is the Kent League, which is one League beneath the Ryman League South, two Leagues beneath the Ryman League Premier, three Leagues beneath the Nationwide Conference South and Four Leagues beneath the Nationwide Conference.

So technically in FIVE years time (including this year), VCD Athletic could be a Football League side. And why not?? Currently VCD are in fourth place in the Kent League, only a few points behind leaders Whitstable Town.

With the greatest respect to the Anorak's (coat that is LOL) I intend to become one tomorrow. My day has bet set and planned like a military operation. I shall be armed with my camera, after all we are talking about a 'new' ground being added to my list, got to buy a VCD scarf, badge, programme and any other souvenir that is available and make VCD Athletic my 'project' for another football team to follow!!!

Get to the ground by 12.30, watch the Liverpool v Chelsea game in the clubhouse (which kicks off at 12.45pm) watch VCD v West Auckland Town (kick off 3pm) and then sink copious amounts of booze with the players (hopefully in celebration) after the game.

After all it is THE FA VASE.

As well as the 'haps' for the Chelsea game, bookmark this blog for the whole story on VCD Athletic v West Auckland Town sometime over the weekend - pictures and all!!!




  • If You Know Your History Online Chelsea Store

  • Shop at Amazon.co.uk
  • Labels: , ,

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home