If You Know Your History

Friday, September 15, 2006

Atmosphere at Stamford Bridge

Atmosphere

Yep the Atmosphere at Stamford Bridge. What atmosphere, exactly!!

I have to admit I have been a right real 'anorak' tonight, firstly because I have moved my computer into the conservatory finally, I've even brought a new PC station from Argos which was the easiest unit to put together and the instructions were the simplest instructions for a component unit ever to read and understand!!

Anyway I digress. I am in the Conservatory enjoying my new surroundings ie blinds on the windows and also complete privacy - just like being on a desert island - and I have got Chelsea TV on watching the 'countdown' show for the game against Liverpool on Sunday. No problems, no disruption and no Mrs Blueblood58 to worry about. Oh happy days. Why oh why didn't I finish off the move into the conservatory earlier??

Anyway as I write Chelsea TV are showing the repeat of Countdown to Sunday and I am watching it again!!

Why!! I dont know, guess I havent turned it over or it could be that the guests, one being Chelsea Legend Kerry Dixon and the other currently starring in Eastenders, Phil Daniels are chatting and expressing their personal views of what has happened and what will happen.

What caused the idea for this entry was another programme on Chelsea TV called 'Points of Blue.' Basically its a show for those 'fans' to write in or phone their views in if they cannot get through to the regular phone-in shows.

Anyway the major air of discontment was about the 'atmosphere' at home matches this season. Personally against Man City I thought the atmosphere wasn't that bad, Charlton with the tribute to JFH starting from the MH Stand you can be inclined to forget the indifference.

BTW in those two games, the Club gave away 1750 flags for those entering the East Stand Lower which is the family section and there is an appeal for those flags to be 're-cycled' on Sunday when we face the might of Scumpool, sorry Liverpool!!

There were complaints about the Charlton atmosphere and there were complaints about the Werder Bremen atmosphere.

Charlton I've already commented on but Werder Bremen what do you expect. 32,135 crowd for a Champions League game and by the looks of it from TV pictures the Matthew Harding Stand was half-empty, well at least the lower tier was - so what do you expect?? If the Matthew Harding is half-empty where do you expect the atmosphere to come from?

West Stand - nah. I have sat in the lower and upper tiers and to be honest with you, you would get more atmosphere in a library.

Shed End Upper - The times I have sat there have been good, but for the last few years the SEU needs that paternal guidance.

East Stand - The last time I went in the East Stand was when the Family section was there before they moved it to the Shed End! As it was the family section as it is now, you had to mind your words etc!!!

So we are left with the Matthew Harding Stand, Upper and Lower. Since I 'reclaimed' my season ticket three years ago it is the Matthew Harding Stand for me. This is the place to be if you want to be part of the game from the moment the teams arrive on the pitch until the ref blows the final whistle.

It is the Matthew Harding Stand that start the songs, sing the songs and attempt to stir the rest of the ground from its slumber and pockets in the ground respond - but to be honest without much success.

Imagine my surprise that I heard emails being read out and telephone calls being made that fans in the Matthew Harding Stand Upper tier were being scowled upon for singing and standing up to help generate the atmosphere and others sitting about in their seats seemingly enjoying a night out at the cinema or the opera or even a concert in the local park.

As radical as it may seem, lets get the Matthew Harding back in The Shed, albeit with seats 'The Shed' is where the atmosphere comes from. From the old days, 'The Shed' started and the 'old' West Stand joining in.

Put those in 'The Shed' at the moment that want to sit and join them together with those in the Matthew Harding that want to do same and whatever amount of seats are left over, give them to away supporters.

The present division of away supporters in the Shed End seems to be working pretty well, so why can't the same division beheld in the Matthew Harding.

The Shed is Chelsea and Chelsea is The Shed - move the MH Stand to The Shed and retire the NO.9 shirt to the Chelsea Museum and give Boulahrouz another number!!

l8ter

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home