If You Know Your History

Saturday, September 09, 2006

Chelsea 2-1 Charlton Athletic

I had a feeling when I woke up this morning that ex-Chelsea legend Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink would score today and it seemed appropriate that when he struck his equaliser, it was at the Matthew Harding Stand where his adoring public were sitting.

Poor old Jimmy. Scores a goal, unable to celebrate then signalled to the MH Stand with apologetic arms up as if to say 'I am only doing my job.' In return once the initial shock of the goal being conceded was over, the MH Stand stood up and chanted 'Oh Jimmy Jimmy, Jimmy Jimmy Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink.' Jimmy turned again and clapped. Nice one Jim. Well done mate.

You will always be in our hearts.

My mate Rickity Rick had a day to remember. Was at fault for Jimmy's equaliser, nine minutes later scores what turned out to be the winner, despite Super Frank missing a late penalty, and soon after scoring got himself booked. Rickity Rick - bring back Willie G.

Chelsea were majestic in the first half. The front three of Drogba, 'The Shev' and Shaunie caused Charlton all-sorts of problems especially with their inter-changing of positions.

Chelsea took the lead as early as the 6th minute when from a Lampard corner, Bryan Hughes made a poor clearance straight to Drogba who thumped the ball back to score with glee. Wave after wave of Chelsea's attacks brought no further reward.

Had Charlton reached half-time two or three goals down I don't think they would have had too many complaints.

Carson saved well from Drogba. Ballack hit a curler just past Carson's right hand post and the Charlton defence worked overtime to keep Chelsea at bay.

The second-half was a different story. Charlton came back into the game and apart from Jimmy's equaliser and it seemed to me, a harsh second equaliser disallowed from Marcus Bent for handball Chelsea struggled to continue their dominance of the first-half.

Late on Chelsea were awarded a penalty when Kalou was adjudged to have been fouled by El Karkouri and it was really a nothing challenge. Anyway, up stepped Super Frank and with direction by JFH to Carson, Carson saved Frank's spot-kick. Frank hit it true and hard but it was straight at Carson, but a penalty save is a penalty save and it was Carson's second successive Premiership spot-kick save.

Jose's reaction was more relieved than disappointed considering Chelsea's dominance. Chelsea had more players away on International duty than any other team and they only had from Thursday to prepare for today.

I was surprised at the reception that Ashley Cole received when he came on for his debut, replacing the very impressive Wayne Bridge. Perhaps I will have to change my ways and thinking about Mr Cole.

I suspect that JM's thinking was to give him thirty minutes before naming him in the starting XI for the Champions League game against Werder Bremen on Tuesday night at Stamford Bridge.

COME ON CHELSEA

l8ter

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Mate!

I'm a Chelsea fan too. And I have a Chelsea Fan Blog - www.bluechampions.com

To my knowledge there are very few good blogs/websites for Chelsea and that's one of the reasons why I thought I'll start one.

Please do visit my blog and leave your feedback!

12:04 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home